We are so very grateful for this sense of normalcy for our students despite our current situation.
We know this news is heartbreaking for you -- as it is for us. So many of you return to campus every five years to honor your Immaculate Heart experience and rekindle the friendships you made here. But we ask you to imagine for a moment that you are a senior at Immaculate Heart this year...
- You missed out on your chance to model at the Spring Luncheon when it was cancelled 24 hours before it was to start.
- After rehearsing since January for your last Genesians musical, the performance is put on indefinite hold.
- Your senior season in softball/swimming/tennis/track and field vanished in a matter of hours.
- All speech and debate national qualifier tournaments were cancelled.
- While continuing to show up for class on a daily basis, albeit via a computer screen, you are secretly worrying about whether or not your parents can truly afford your tuition for the remaining three months.
While we remain optimistic that all 118 seniors will be traditionally present with red roses on the stage of the Hollywood Bowl, losing so many acitivities leading up to graduation is difficult for all of us to accept.
While Reunion weekend is certainly a celebration of memories past, it also serves as major scholarship support for our current and future Pandas. Celebrating class gifts make up a large portion of our annual financial support. In fact, last year our celebrating classes raised nearly $100,000! Now, more than ever, we need these crucial funds.
As is a reality for so many institutions right now, our business office is fielding calls from parents concerned about or unable to pay their tuition. Many of these parents never thought that paying tuition would be an issue for their family. Some have recently lost their jobs due to the crisis, or had their hours seriously reduced. Our administrative team is reassuring them not to worry about tuition at this moment, but to focus on their family. But that in turn leaves a new concern for the school -- how do we fill the ever-growing need for financial aid, one that will most certainly increase over the next few weeks and months?
We have had to cancel events that support our Financial Aid Program. We've received communication from our largest Foundation donor that they will have to reduce their gift this year. Income that we have come to depend on for our students' scholarships simply won't be available.In this time of need, we ask you to think back to what your time at Immaculate Heart meant for you and consider making a gift right now to support our new Financial Aid Contingency Fund.
Perhaps you can consider donating:
- $80, which is our registration fee for the reunion
- $440 to cover one week's tuition for a family in need
- a gift of $10 in solidarity with your sister Pandas
No matter your level of support during these trying times, we thank you for considering what you can do to keep our current students enrolled at our beloved institution.
These are different days for sure, and while challenging right now, we have no doubt we will come out stronger. Our community has always rallied together when needed because we are women of great heart and right conscience.
Our entire school community wishes you and your family health and well-being during this very difficult time.